For more information on fireworks safety, please visit the
National Council of Fireworks Safety page
Fireworks are synonymous with our celebration of Independence Day. Remember to follow the appropriate safety measures when using fireworks to avoid turning a fun celebration into an emergency.
Consider the following tips when planning your Independence Day fireworks fun:
- Do not wear loose clothing while using fireworks.
- Never light fireworks indoors or near dry grass.
- Point fireworks away from homes, and keep away from brush, leaves & flammable substances
- Stand several feet away from lit fireworks. If a device does not go off, do not stand over it to investigate it. Put it out with water and dispose of it.
- Always have a bucket of water and/or a fire extinguisher nearby. Know how to operate the fire extinguisher properly.
- If fireworks injure a child, immediately go to a doctor or hospital.
- If an eye injury occurs, don’t allow your child to touch or rub it, as this may cause even more damage.